Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Story #4 - No Phone

Here's a new story. Remember, stories can be fictional or non-fictional. This one is fictional. Please, send some stories! It's not supposed to be just me here, I wanted there to be a community of sorts. But oh well! Here it is.

***

No Phone
by Dan Schwartz

I wanted to live in the land of bad decisions. In order to live in the land of bad decisions, you have to make some bad decisions.

Without thinking I picked up my telephone and threw it out the second-story window. I stopped. I stood there, and I couldn't even hear it smash as it hit the ground. When I looked over the edge of the window I saw it in tiny pieces, next to some birds. There was an orange cat out there as well, surprised, but ready to continue.

Someone tried to call me after that, but I didn't hear it. I was in my bed, asleep. Now if people want to contact me they have to write me a letter. I don't mind costing people postage. I'm wondering what would happen if I changed my address without telling anyone. Could they find me then? How far does information travel?

I don't know why I want to do this. I don't mind people. Hell, I like people. I think it's just that I want to know certain things. I want the knowledge that only comes from being at a disadvantage. Is that wrong? I'd like to see what it would be like.

I don't believe that everything happens for a reason.

***

No comments: