Thursday, July 5, 2007

Story #9 - Three Cents

First new story of July. Much like a volcano, I'm still excited. Happy 4th of July, by the way.

***

Three Cents
by Dan Schwartz

I wanted to live in the land of bad decisions. In order to live in the land of bad decisions, you have to make some bad decisions.

And one bad decision begets another. Just yesterday I was at the grocery store when, getting my change back, I noticed that the cashier had given me an extra three cents. I could have said something, but I didn't. I took my things and I left the store.

I used my three cents to buy booze. And yes, I know what you're thinking: three cents is not enough to buy any worthwhile alcoholic beverage. And I would agree with you -- but if you take out the word worthwhile, then all sorts of possibilities open up.

In a matter of minutes I was stumbling along the sidewalk, unable to keep my balance. I fell down. Since it was still the middle of the afternoon, people were walking over me, not stopping to look down. I took a nap. When I woke up, many hours later, my head hurt and my pants had been taken. I got up and I walked back to my place.

I took a shower and cleaned myself up. It was the middle of the night now, but I wasn't tired. I stayed up, watched TV, and thought about what I was going to do tomorrow.

***

No comments: