Friday, April 11, 2008

Story #40 - Climbing a Tree

Dang, I have been neglectful, I guess that is what happens when you are busy all the time. But no fear! I will try to get this back to at least a semi-regular schedule.

***
Climbing a Tree
by Dan Schwartz

I wanted to live in the land of bad decisions. In order to live in the land of bad decisions, you have to make some bad decisions.

When I was 9 or so, there was this tree in my neighborhood that I could climb up easily. So sometimes I would go up there and hide for a time.

Once, I decided I would stay there for as long as possible. I didn't prepare, I just went up and did not come down.

Only, I didn't tell anybody. Which is why, when my family walked past yelling my name, trying to find me, I wasn't sure whether I should answer or not. Part of me knew I should probably come down there. Part of me was thinking: Stay up here. Stay up here. Don't say anything.

Oh, I came down eventually. Someone in my family eventually looked up. They got angry. I was grounded for maybe a week or so, I don't remember.

Looking back I think that I knew, even then, that it was a bad decision to begin with. And yet I did it anyway. Maybe I shouldn't have, who can say that now. But it happened.

I haven't been back up the tree yet.

***

No comments: