Friday, July 11, 2008

Story #43 - Firework

Oh my goodness it has been over two months since I last wrote a LOBD story. I am so sorry for the delay, but things have been hectic and I have been forgetful. Let's let bygones be bygones and I will write more and hopefully you will send me more stories. Friends? Friends.

Here's a story I was going to write for last week, the 4th of July, but didn't get around to. So, happy belated independence day!

***

Firework
by Dan Schwartz

I wanted to live in the land of bad decision. In order to live in the land of bad decisions, you have to make some bad decisions.

It was the 4th of July and we were all gathered at the middle school to watch the fireworks. The brass band played the national anthem and we all waited, waited for what seemed to be too long. It always takes forever for them to start.

And then up went the first one - the high whistle of a rocket taking off - and the bright blue explosion in the sky, a concentric circle, falling down. And then another: red. Then green. White. Red.

That's when I got up and ran downhill towards them. I had a question that I wanted to have answered. I climbed over the plastic orange fence that blocked the way between me and the field.

You'll laugh, but -- well -- I wanted to catch one.

I saw the fireworks disappear in the sky, the smoke rising up, and I wanted to see if they fell, where they fell to.

It turns out that I don't know much about how fireworks work.

***

No comments: