Monday, January 4, 2010

Story #47 - Forgot to Breathe

Happy new year! I hope your 2010 is a good one. Here is a story that has nothing to do with anything.

***
Forgot to Breathe
by Dan Schwartz

I wanted to live in the land of bad decisions. In order to live in the land of bad decisions, you have to make some bad decisions.

One day I simply forgot to breathe. Just forgot. Like you would forget your car keys, or to wash your dog. It just didn't cross my mind.

It was interesting at first - why am I experiencing so much pain? - but once I remembered, I did my best to keep forgetting. I tried thinking about other things - birds, small rocks, a trip to Tulsa - but the memory persisted. I didn't want to not breathe. It's just that I wanted not to recall how.

Eventually I collapsed on the floor, the weight of memory (or something else) pressing down on me.

Reader, I did not suffocate to death. Instead I passed out for a while, until my body, filling with air, remembered all on its own.

I feel a bit cheated.

***

No comments: