Monday, January 18, 2010

Story #49 - Third Rail

I know this is a bit late, but I hope you enjoy it just the same. Thank you for reading.

***
Third Rail
by Dan Schwartz

I wanted to live in the land of bad decisions. In order to live in the land of bad decisions, you have to make some bad decisions.

I mean, it's right there, isn't it? All white and gleaming and tempting me, with big signs saying "DANGER" and pictures of men getting zapped by lightning bolts. First of all, what's more metal than that? And secondly, how could they possibly mean it? I thought they were bluffing.

So one night, after the trains stopped running, I jumped onto the track and reached my hand out to the third rail. And yes, I did have visions of unicorns and barren, war-torn landscapes, and mutant dogs and tanks. I had a double-edged sword that I kept in a sheath by my side, and boots that were tacky and out of place. It was up to me to liberate the people from the tyrannical army that ruled the city, one that oppressed freedoms and hated cupcakes. And I would fight until I was dead.

I woke up in a hospital. A drunk had found me, taken any possessions I had, and called an ambulance. That was nice of him or her. It is good to know that there are strangers who will look out for you.

***

No comments: