Monday, March 1, 2010

Story #54 - Burned House Down

Please enjoy this new story! I hope you find it at least somewhat satisfying.

Happy March, everyone

***

Burned House Down
by Dan Schwartz

I wanted to live in the land of bad decisions. In order to live in the land of bad decisions, you have to make some bad decisions.

I decided I would burn my own house down, just for fun. I got all the stuff I wanted out first, and made sure everything was safe, that no one else was in there, and that nothing near it would get hurt. But, man, I torched my house up like a motherfucker.

It was brilliant. My house became a beacon that could be seen from miles away. I bet ships even used it to guide themselves. The fire destroyed everything that had once been mine. Some people came by to watch it burn. The house became a fireball, and shot straight upward. It was beautiful. I knew that I had made a clean break. I could start again.

I mean, of course, in theory. Then it turned out that I was now homeless, and that hey, you can't actually get insurance money if you burn it yourself, and also did you know that arson is a crime even if no one minds? But, hey, there's always new to learn. At least I did it. I'll always have that to carry with me.

***

No comments: