Monday, March 8, 2010

Story #55 - Ingested Chalk

Here is a story this week! Please enjoy! I am thinking of doing a "call for submissions" pretty soon, as the point of this website is to find different people's take on what it means to live in the land of bad decisions. But here is one for today!

***
Ingested Chalk
by Dan Schwartz

I wanted to live in the land of bad decisions. In order to live in the land of bad decisions, you have to make some bad decisions.

It was after class, and I was staring at the blackboard, and I knew it would taste awful but I really wanted to see what happened if I ingested some of the chalk that was there. So I took a really small piece and ate it. It did taste awful, yes, but eventually went down with no complaint. And then nothing happened. I didn't feel sick or anything. So I left the room.

The next day, when I woke up in my bed, I noticed that there was some kind of faint dusting around me. I didn't know what that was about. I went through the day as normal, until class was over again. I went to the board and put my finger on it. A white dot appeared. I traced my name on the board with my finger, and it appeared whatever I did. So I grabbed more chalk and ate all of it there, taste be damned.

The next day the bed was covered in dust, and there was sort of a haze around my eyes, but I didn't care. Whatever I touched, not just the blackboard, now would have these white dots on it. I went around touching the foreheads of the people I didn't like. Or I would leave chalk marks on the lockers, water fountains, and the like. After school I would just get as much chalk as possible. When I walked home I left chalk footprints on the sidewalk. My room was a mess.

Eventually I found that I could break off my own finger and use it as chalk if I wanted to. I could even put it back on again, if I wanted, but mostly I just kept it in my pocket for convenience. And I found my own skin turning whiter, blindingly so, photoshop-fill so. I eventually found I could turn things that weren't chalk into chalk, which was good because I no longer had the taste for food.

And then some of the things I turned to chalk grew arms and legs, and started to walk around, and then they grew heads with eyes and mouths. They could turn things into chalk, too. And they could eat. So eventually we all went to the school and filled out everywhere, until the whole building had turned to chalk. And we broke the school up into little human-sized pieces, waiting for the transformation.

We haven't decided yet where to go next.

***

No comments: