Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Story #72 - Yelled For Hours - MBD #14

Here is a new story, please enjoy!

***

Yelled For Hours
by Dan Schwartz

I wanted to live in the land of bad decisions. In order to live in the land of bad decisions, you have to make some bad decisions.

I went up to the roof of my building and I said, “AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA” and so on and so forth. I did this for hours and hours. I wouldn’t even stop to take a breath – if I felt myself passing out, I just sort of doubled over until my body was too confused. It wasn’t an angry yell. It wasn’t even a cathartic yell. It was just sort of there, like a passing ambulance, or more like a non-ending steam whistle.

Some people took notice, though, and threw rocks up at me. One of them did hit me and break my nose. Someone threw a car battery, someone else managed to get a whole cinder block. The cinder block didn’t break, it sort of landed with a thunk. There was also an empty stroller thrown up, a car jack, a bicycle tire, and an outdated video game system.

But what eventually stopped me was the birds. For a while a bunch of birds had been gathering around me, and then one flew directly into my mouth. That finally stopped me from yelling. I had to remove the bird, but by the time I did that the other birds had surrounded me and started pecking at various parts of my body. And the thing is, I wanted to yell for real now, but I was so exhausted and my voice was so gone that instead I curled up and went to sleep, while the birds tore various parts of my skin away.

***

No comments: