Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Story #78 - Took A Leave Of Absence - MBD #20

There are only 10 days left now in the Month of Bad Decisions! I hope you've been enjoying the bad decisions so far. If so, leave a comment and let me know how you feel about things. Also don't forget to send your own submissions. Enjoy today's story!

***

Took A Leave Of Absence
by Dan Schwartz

I wanted to live in the land of bad decisions. In order to live in the land of bad decisions, you have to make some bad decisions.

One day I decided I would take an extended leave of absence – from work, from my life, everything. So I left. It didn’t take long. A plane ticket to another country, one with very lax immigration laws. I had no place to stay and no chance of finding work. I tried to fall in with some crowds, but everyone kept telling me I was an asshole. So I was on my own.

I basically travelled until the money I had ran out. I saw some amazing sights, places that I would have never gone to otherwise. I tried to visit as many natural habitats as I could. After I thought I had explored one country, I would move on to the next. This lasted until I was down to my last coin, which I lost during a heavy rainstorm. I mostly stayed out in the street.

I think maybe I had this idea that people back home would be worried about me when I didn’t show up after so long of a time? But, again, too much of an asshole. So no one looked for me.

Eventually I was forcefully deported when I was sleeping on the side of a national monument. I want to emphasize: I didn’t intend to urinate on it, I was just having night terrors. But anyway. Once I came home, I thought it would be easy to regain my old life back. But it didn’t work. Everyone could tell that I had changed – or worse, that I hadn’t changed enough. So I guess that my leave of absence is still in progress.

***

No comments: