Thursday, April 29, 2010

Story #87 - Red Velvet Cake, by andrea bennett - MBD #29

Today is the second to last day of the Month of Bad Decisions! April has been pretty great, I must say, and we've had some amazing writers come in and share their stories. And now we have one more: andrea bennett!

andrea bennett is a first-year creative writing MFA student at UBC. Her work has appeared in the Antigonish Review and Broken Pencil. She is also the incoming poetry editor for PRISM international. Thanks, andrea!

Just a small programming note: Tomorrow will be the last day of the Month of Bad Decisions, then the blog will go on hiatus for a week. But I'll be back with a new post on Monday, May 10. And a reminder - I do take submissions year-round, so please send in something for the site. Now enjoy andrea's story!

***

Red Velvet Cake
by andrea bennett

I wanted to live in the land of bad decisions. In order to live in the land of bad decisions, you have to make some bad decisions.

I decided that I could eat the red velvet cake.

This was after I decided that celiac's disease was a naturopathic figment of North American imagination. Someone, somewhere had made it up in order to sell more buckwheat flour.

The cake had a bounce and an elasticity that'd become unfamiliar. Cream cheese icing that measured an inch thick.

Just look at that crumb, I said to my roommate, who belonged to the cake. So fluffy! So moist!

You can probably have gluten sometimes, right? she replied. Like, it's not going to kill you or anything.

My roommate and I buttressed each other's bad decisions, meaning that we ate nothing but red velvet cake until all of the red velvet cake was eaten.

Do you think my insides are dyed now? My roommate licked her plate.

It was red velvet cake day two.

I farted.

I do not want to know what my insides look like now, I said.

I think I am going to have to open all the windows in this house, said my roommate.

Excuse me. I am going to go the bathroom, I said.

After I left the bathroom three days later, I decided to buy shares in buckwheat flour.

***

No comments: