Monday, May 31, 2010

Story #92 - Taking Down Street Signs

Hello, and happy Memorial Day (US)! I hope you are having a good holiday, and if not, then I am deeply sorry. Please enjoy this week's story.

Remember: I am always looking for submissions of stories, poems, audio, or anything for the site. Check the submission guidelines and send me an email. Thanks!

***
Taking Down Street Signs
by Dan Schwartz

I wanted to live in the land of bad decisions. In order to live in the land of bad decisions, you have to make some bad decisions.

I was walking in my neighborhood when I saw a STOP sign in an intersection. I didn't feel like it needed to be there. So I found a nearby brick and removed the sign from its post, then hid it underneath some plants. I felt better now. Then I did this for the other three signs at the intersection.

I did the same to a street sign that I saw. I figured, if you don't know what street you're on, you don't deserve to know. I thought about replacing it with a sign that said "LEARN GEOGRAPHY."

Street signs aren't instructive. They're lazy. Do you really need to be reminded to drive slow if there are children around? And how many times the speed limit have to be posted, anyway? "DO NOT ENTER" signs impinges on our right to go anywhere we want. My brick and I were just trying to make a stand for freedom.

I was arrested so many times, you wouldn't believe.

***

No comments: