Monday, June 14, 2010

Story #94 - Disbelieved In Birds

Hello! Here is a new LOBD story for you - please remember that I am taking submissions, be they fiction, non-fiction, poetry, audio, video, or what have you. Check out the guidelines and send me an email. Enjoy today's story!

***

Disbelieved in Birds
by Dan Schwartz

I wanted to live in the land of bad decisions. In order to live in the land of bad decisions, you have to make some bad decisions.

I decided that I didn't believe in birds. They didn't exist. I saw a woodpecker on the top of a telephone pole and I thought, that isn't there. I'm not seeing anything. It's probably just an aerodynamic rat.

I felt a lot better after this. Finally, my life was less complicated. I didn't have to worry about what finches were up to. I took down the bird feeder in my back yard because, what was the point.

If I saw a bird on TV, I knew that I was looking at a fictional creation, like ghosts or vampires. People talking about them were talking about myths. I smiled to myself, like I did when I figured out about the Easter bunny scam.

And if I was walking down the street and there'd be something awfully like a bird on the sidewalk, or if I looked up and saw something in the sky, I knew that what I was seeing wasn't real. There was no question. It could have been mental problems, sure. Or just old memories trying to return. But I was smarter than that. I knew what was right. And nothing, not anything that you could say or show to me would convince me otherwise.

Life is better, in so many ways.

***

No comments: