Saturday, April 2, 2011

Story #102 - Didn't Sleep - MBD #2

***

Didn’t Sleep
by Dan Schwartz

I wanted to live in the land of bad decisions. In order to live in the land of bad decisions, you have to make some bad decisions.

I have transcended sleep. I no longer need it to function as a person. Most people need to rest at some point in their lives, I’ve heard, but I found a way to do without it. Now I stay awake at all hours of the day. There is a lot of intravenous coffee involved. Plus several pills of an extralegal nature. And a device that I built myself, which I do not choose to go into detail about here.

What do I do with my time? Well, an awful lot of it is spent hallucinating. At first it was scary, when the spots before my eyes became real and asked me personal questions. But I’ve learned to cope with it. The strange things have become tangible. I can pick up, for example, something with a dog’s head and a purple amorphous body, and it will become upset with me. It is fun to try to avoid them, as in the street. You usually end up running into people, who shove you back on your way. It is very helpful to not have a direction in mind.

At night, although I have transcended sleep, I worry about staying in one place for too long. I have begun night bicycling. The best way I have found to do this is to have no reflecting surfaces, no flashing lights, no lights at all in fact, and no helmet. It is exhilarating. The combination of wind streams and constant fear make for quite an experience that can have me not even think about sleeping for a long time.

If you’re wondering how I cope with not sleeping, you are asking the wrong question. I left my old life behind. This has become my greatest goal. It is a part of who I am, forever. I am hoping to keep it this way.

***

No comments: