Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Story #105 - Made A Lava Pit A Permanent Fixture In My House - MBD #5

***

Made A Lava Pit A Permanent Fixture In My House
by Dan Schwartz

I wanted to live in the land of bad decisions. In order to live in the land of bad decisions, you have to make some bad decisions.

It wasn’t that different, just that when I had guests over, I now had to say, welcome, here, give me your jackets, oh and mind the lava pit.

It was quite large, taking up twelve square feet in my living room floor (where the rug used to be). It needed to be kept at a consistent temperature (hot). At first I thought of putting up a little bridge for people to cross it, but then I thought, no, that’s too much work. People can walk around it, it’s not like the ground slopes slightly and it is easy to lose your balance and fall into it.

Surprisingly, it is easy to forget when you have a lava pit in the middle of your house. It just becomes another piece of furniture, one recessed deep into the ground and filled with lava. It can be easy to wake up in the middle of the night, say, and not see it at first as you go to get some water. But it does not take much effort to remember.

One thing to keep in mind is upkeep. You need to make sure there is enough lava, and that it does not leave the pit, for example. This was one problem I encountered, and it was not easily taken care of.

It is tempting to say, this was a bad idea, or that I regret ever having put this in my house. But that is not entirely true. I’ve thought of abandoning my house, and just leaving this pit. But I always come back. Is it wrong to say that the thing that keeps me coming back, the thing that keeps me from having regret, is pride?

***

No comments: