Saturday, April 9, 2011

Story #109 - Stopped Counting At 46 - MBD #9

***
Stopped Counting At 46
by Dan Schwartz

I wanted to live in the land of bad decisions. In order to live in the land of bad decisions, you have to make some bad decisions.

I was overwhelmed. Way too much was going on. I needed a moment, and in that moment I decided that there was no possible higher number than 46.

And… I cannot tell you how much simpler my life has become since I changed my outlook. Suddenly, everything fell into place. I had a feeling that I could take care of everything, and was sure that it was all going to be alright.

For example, I had a lot of debts that needed to be paid. But then I realized that, all the debts totaled, it only amounted to $46 dollars. Which was good, because that was all the money that I had.

The weather only got to 46 degrees – in both Celsius and Fahrenheit. I made sure to dress for both mildly cold and extremely scorching hot weather, simultaneously.

And best of all, I never had to think about anything too hard. If a number came up, it was automatically less than 46, so there was no need to worry. I smiled, and I relaxed. Of course my house was repossessed, but that was no concern. I liked to sit on the grass and stare up into the sky, and tell myself that everything was okay.

No comments: