Thursday, April 14, 2011

Story #114 - Slapped A Stranger - MBD #14

***

Slapped A Stranger
by Dan Schwartz

I wanted to live in the land of bad decisions. In order to live in the land of bad decisions, you have to make some bad decisions.

I was walking down a crowded street today in the middle of town. Someone approached me, coming very close, and I made a quick decision to slap him in the face.

In retrospect, he had done nothing wrong. He was probably jostled by someone else in the crowd, and came in to my field of vision. As I said, it was very quick, as if I had decided to react without even recognizing what was happening, which is probably an accurate description of how it went down.

Anyway he kind of stared at me for about a minute, then went on his way. I thought for some reason he was going to come after me or something? Maybe slap me back? I wondered if I had stumbled on the quickest possible way to start a fight. But no. I was free to go on my way, with only the judging eyes of the crowd following me.

It was in this moment when I tripped on a stray rock and fell to the ground.

***

No comments: